This hearty curry has just a subtle hint of spice and a rich creamy texture. The vegetables are slowly simmered in a rich and fragrant coconut sauce until they are perfectly tender. This recipe makes the perfect dish for a chilly winter night.
Butternut and Cabbage Mild Curry [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 4 handfuls of sliced winter cabbage
- 1 14-ounce can chickpeas
- 1 medium onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 2 1/2-piece fresh ginger root
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon mild curry
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 14-ounce can tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 limes, juiced
- A small bunch of fresh coriander, to serve
- Cashews, to serve
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the finely chopped onion and crushed garlic.
- Add your grated ginger, garam masala, ground cumin, ground coriander, turmeric, curry powder and crushed seeds of cardamom pods (discard the pods) and fry everything gently until it's soft.
- Peel and cube the butternut squash.
- Add butternut squash to the onion mixture followed by the chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then cook it, covered, on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the shredded cabbage and coconut milk.
- Cook the curry for another 10 minutes.
- Add the rinsed and drained chickpeas.
- Season it to taste with lime juice.
- Serve it with cashew nuts and chopped coriander sprinkled on top