Who said that delicious food has to be complicated? While this chickpea bowl may not be something you can find in a Burmese restaurant, it is packed with Burmese condiments like fried red chili flakes, shallots, garlic, onions, and crushed peanuts. You can also make this with pre-cooked chickpeas, however, the joy of tasting a freshly boiled, hot, steamy, creamy chickpea is unparalleled!
Burmese Chickpea Bowl [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup dry chickpeas
- Water, to soak/cook the chickpeas in
- 2 tablespoons peanuts, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fried onions
- 1 teaspoon fried garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped shallots/onion
- 1 teaspoon fried red chili flakes
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon spring onion (green), chopped
- Soak chickpeas overnight in water, making sure the chickpeas are completely immersed.
- Cook the chickpeas in the water it soaked in until soft. Add salt.
- Divide the chickpeas between two bowls.
- Top with the crushed peanuts, fried onion, fried garlic, and chopped onion. Season with fried red chili flakes. Garnish with chopped spring onions.
- Serve hot.