There is nothing better than the smell of the buckwheat simmering, coconut and cinnamon wafting through the air. Despite the name, there’s no wheat in here, so it’s gluten-free. It’s also referred to as groats. This comes together in a flash if you precook the buckwheat in the rice cooker, and the best part is, you can eat it hot or cold.
Buckwheat Breakfast Bowl [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Bowl
- 1 cup uncooked buckwheat, rinsed
- 2 cups homemade almond milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 dates, pitted and finely chopped
For the Toppings
2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
2 tablespoons dried currants
2 tablespoons walnuts, crushed
- In a medium saucepan, combine the buckwheat and 2 cups water and cook until tender, about 30 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, bring the milk to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the cooked buckwheat, cinnamon, and dates.
- Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until the milk has somewhat reduced and the mixture has thickened.
- For each serving, scoop 1/2 cup of the steeped buckwheat into a bowl and pour 1/4 cup of the milk over it. Top with a spoonful of shredded coconut, some currants and walnuts, and a pinch of cinnamon. Delishness!