This meal was born out of a craving for something rich, comforting and packed full of flavor. Bolognese ticks all those boxes and then some. I have to say that I am constantly amazed at how easy it is to create vegan versions of old favorites. I made a big batch of the bolognese sauce and stored the leftover in the fridge where it will keep for about three days.
Brown Rice Noodles and Bolognese [Vegan]
- Brown rice noodles OR spaghetti
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 orange bell pepper (chopped)
- 3 large tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 small chillies or 1/2 scotch bonnet pepper (chopped)
- 1 small red onion (finely chopped)
- 1.5 cups tomato sauce (blended fresh tomatoes OR jar of passata)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.25 cups vegan mince/ground "beef" OR cooked beans/lentils
- salt, to taste
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- Start by making the bolognese sauce. Heat the olive oil in a large pot and add all the chopped vegetables (peppers, tomatoes, chillies, onion), sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add the vegan mince and stir to combine with the vegetables.
- Add the tomato sauce, stir and season the sauce with the salt, turmeric, chili flakes and vegetable stock cube. Simmer on low-medium heat for 8-10 minutes (watch out that the sauce doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot; stir occasionally). Make sure the sauce is piping hot before serving.
- Cook the brown rice noodles (or spaghetti) as you would normally cook your pasta.
- Serve hot with a side of fresh salad to get those extra greens in. Enjoy!