A twist on classic comfort food, this vegan rice casserole includes butternut squash, chickpeas and baby spinach. Warm curry powder seasons this hearty gluten-free dinner.
Brown Rice Casserole with Curry Butternut Squash [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 + 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 14.5-ounce can coconut milk
- 3 cups cooked brown basmati rice
- 10- ounces fresh baby spinach
- 4 cups cooked butternut squash
- 14.5-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Cilantro, for serving
Heat oven to 400°F.
Warm coconut oil in a pan over medium heat. Add diced onion and saute 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in curry powder and coconut milk.
In a large casserole dish, combine cooked rice, spinach, cooked butternut squash, chickpeas.
Pour onions and coconut milk over the rice mixture. Stir well to combine.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Serve with a garnish of cilantro.