These stuffed cabbage rolls are mixed with green lentils and brown rice as a healthy, plant-based meat substitute to corned beef. Topping them with vitamin C-rich tomato sauce also makes it an even better source of iron!
Brown Rice and Lentil Stuffed Cabbage Rolls [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Brown Rice and Lentil Stuffed Cabbage Rolls [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 large green cabbage, whole
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cooked green lentils (1/2 cup dried lentils)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (3/4 cup dried rice)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, low-sodium (tamari if gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (Split between filling and tomato sauce)
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, no salt added
- Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
How to Prepare Brown Rice and Lentil Stuffed Cabbage Rolls [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Bring a large stock pot of water to boil. Place whole cabbage in pot and boil until leaves are tender and easily peel off (about 5-7 minutes). Turn off heat and carefully remove the cabbage and place on a cutting board. Pull the leaves apart (keeping them whole) and place on a paper towel lined surface.
- While cabbage is boiling, heat one tablespoon olive oil on medium high heat and sautée onions until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, dried herbs, and spices to the pan. Heat an additional minute or until fragrant. Remove from heat and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Wipe out the pan.
- Stir in the lentils, rice, and dried fruit to the onion mixture. Add one tablespoon of tomato paste and soy sauce. Set aside.
- To make the rolls, place one to two tablespoons of the mixture onto end of a cabbage leaf, tuck in the sides and gently roll, like a burrito.
- In the same pan that made the onion mixture, heat the remaining olive oil on medium heat. Add the can of tomatoes, tomato paste, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer, about 10 minutes.
- Place the rolls with the seam side down on atop the sauce. Let simmer and spoon sauce on top to moisten, about 5-10 minutes.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Three Roll Serving Size: Calories: 328 | Carbs: 53.6 g | Fat: 8.2 g | Protein: 12.8 g | Sodium: 292.6 mg | Sugar: 9.1 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.