These easy-to-make tarts are the perfect crowd-pleasers for parties, brunch, or as quaint little snacks just for yourself. These tarts bring out the best that pesto has to offer. Broccolini is just another term for baby broccoli, and it gives you all the nutritional benefits big mamma broccoli has to offer, including an alphabet’s worth of vitamins, minerals, flavonoids, and antioxidants.
Broccolini Pesto and Ricotta Tarts [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Broccolini Pesto and Ricotta Tarts [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Pesto Sauce:
- 3/4 cup hemp seeds
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Grade B maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the Crusts:
- 1 1/4 cups sorghum flour
- 3/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, ground (you can use a coffee grinder)
- 1/4 cup mashed avocado
- 3/4 cup water
For the Ricotta:
- 1 8-ounce package hemp tofu
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the Filling:
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 5 cups chopped broccolini (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
How to Prepare Broccolini Pesto and Ricotta Tarts [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place six 6-ounce ramekins on a 15×10-inch baking sheet.
- To make the pesto: Place the hemp seeds, basil, lemon juice, garlic, maple syrup, and salt in a food processor and pulse until the mixture comes together.
- With the motor running, add the water 1 tablespoon at a time until the pesto is smooth and not too thick.
- Add the red pepper flakes and the black pepper and pulse to combine.
- To make the crust: Whisk together the sorghum flour, tapioca flour, and ground sunflower seeds in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle.
- Add the mashed avocado and water and stir to combine until a dough forms.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly-floured piece of parchment paper with another piece of parchment on top until it is about 1/4-inch thick. Remove the top piece of parchment.
- Place each ramekin upside down on top of the dough and cut around it, adding about a 1/2-inch for the overhang. Do this until you have 12 circles. Reuse any scraps of dough by rolling them out again and cutting out more circles.
- Place 6 of the dough circles in the bottom of the ramekins and press in and around the sides as far up as you can go.
- To make the ricotta: Place the tofu, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic powder, basil, onion powder, and black pepper in a food processor and pulse until the mixture comes together.
- To make the filling: Heat the shallot in a medium sauté pan over medium heat and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the coconut aminos and broccolini, cook, stirring, until the broccolini turns bright green, about 2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- To assemble the tarts, mix together the pesto sauce, ricotta, and broccolini in a medium bowl. Add the mixture to the prepared ramekins, dividing it evenly.
- Place the remaining circles of dough over each ramekin and pinch around the perimeter to seal. Crimp the edges with a fork and, with a paring knife, make four little slits on top.
- Brush the tops of each tart with the coconut aminos.
- Bake the tarts until the dough turns a light golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the baking sheet from the oven to a wire rack, and let it sit for 5 minutes before serving.
From Sweet, Savory, and Free by Debbie Adler https://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Savory-Free-Delicious-Plant-Based/dp/1944648046/?tag=onegrepla-20
Total Calories: 1740 | Total Carbs: 234 g | Total Fat: 60 g | Total Protein: 84 g | Total Sodium: 1080 g | Total Sugar: 18 g Per Serving: Calories: 290 | Carbs: 39 g | Fat: 10 g | Protein: 14 g | Sodium: 180 mg | Sugar: 3 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.