A vegan breakfast sandwich loaded with all the goods: creamy avocado, almond butter, sautéed kale and tempeh bacon, served on a perfectly toasted English muffin.
Breakfast Sandwich With Tempeh Bacon [Vegan]
- 8 oz package of tempeh
- 1/4 cup low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup avocado or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups torn/chopped kale
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 whole grain English muffins, sliced
- 1/4 avocado
- 1-2 tablespoons almond butter
- Cut tempeh into 1/4-inch thick strips/slices.
- Add tamari, oil, maple syrup, liquid smoke, paprika, garlic powder and pepper in a shallow dish. Whisk together with a fork and add tempeh slices. Cover and let marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour or up to 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Arrange tempeh slices in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil. Pour any leftover marinade over tempeh and bake for 15 minutes. Toss tempeh and bake for another 5-10 minutes, or until tempeh is crispy.
- While tempeh is baking, add oil and kale to a skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook until kale is bright in color and a bit charred/crispy.
- This should take about 5 minutes.
- Toast your English muffins. Once toasted, smash avocado on one half and sprinkle with a little sea salt. Spread almond butter on the other half. Layer kale and 3-4 pieces of sliced tempeh bacon on top of the mashed avocado and top the sandwich with the almond butter half. Repeat to make the second sandwich and enjoy!
This recipe makes extra tempeh bacon! Keep leftover tempeh bacon in a storage container in the fridge for using later. It makes a great salad topping!