A vegan breakfast sandwich loaded with all the goods: creamy avocado, almond butter, sautéed kale, and tempeh bacon, served on a perfectly toasted English muffin.
Breakfast Sandwich With Tempeh Bacon [Vegan]
- 8 oz package of tempeh
- 1/4 cup low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup avocado or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups torn/chopped kale
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 whole-grain English muffins, sliced
- 1/4 avocado
- 1-2 tablespoons almond butter
- Cut tempeh into 1/4-inch thick strips or slices.
- Add tamari, oil, maple syrup, liquid smoke, paprika, garlic powder, and pepper in a shallow dish. Whisk together with a fork and add tempeh slices. Cover and let marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour or up to 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Arrange tempeh slices in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil. Pour any leftover marinade over tempeh and bake for 15 minutes. Toss tempeh and bake for another 5-10 minutes, or until tempeh is crispy.
- While tempeh is baking, add oil and kale to a skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook until kale is bright in color and a bit charred/crispy. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Toast your English muffins. Once toasted, smash avocado on one half and sprinkle with a little sea salt. Spread almond butter on the other half. Layer kale and 3-4 pieces of sliced tempeh bacon on top of the mashed avocado and top the sandwich with the almond butter half.
- Repeat to make the second sandwich, and enjoy!
This recipe makes extra tempeh bacon! Keep leftover tempeh bacon in a storage container in the fridge for use later. It makes a great salad topping!