Finding yourself with a huge amount of plain cooked rice but you’d rather not go for fried rice again? If you like your breakfast to be filling and healthy, this is a good option that’s also fairly fast to prepare.
Breakfast Rice Pudding [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups (300 g) cooked jasmine rice
- 1 can (13.5-ounce, or 400 ml) full-fat coconut milk, or half coconut milk and half plant-based milk of choice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons (12 to 24 g) sweetener of choice, or to taste (optional)
- Pinch Diamond kosher salt
- 2 cups (390 g) chopped hulled strawberries
- 1/3 cup (60 g) pomegranate seeds
- 2 tablespoons (40 g) pomegranate molasses
- 2 cups (420 g) chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon (20 g) agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon golden milk powder, or 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric and 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Diced crystallized ginger, chopped vegan halva, toasted coconut flakes, toasted cashew nuts, fresh mint leaves, for garnish
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the cooked rice, coconut milk, sweetener (if using), and salt. Cover the pan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat slightly and simmer until creamy and thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, and about 30 minutes before eating the pudding, have two medium-size bowls handy. Place the strawberries and pomegranate seeds in one. Pour the molasses on top and gently fold to combine. Set aside.
- In the other bowl, combine the pineapple, lemon juice, agave, and milk powder. Gently fold to combine. Set aside.
- The rice pudding can be eaten warm, at room temperature, or cold. Once ready to eat, serve the pudding in bowls. Generously top with the fruit mixture of choice and garnishes of choice.