Sometimes, you wake up and you feel "eh" and you just need a big pile of savory and greasy breakfast. Luckily for you, this breakfast chilaquiles "hangover" recipe will make you fall back in love with life. There is no better hangover cure than greasy, fried food. Plus, these vegan chilaquiles are the ultimate breakfast and brunch meal. Serve this up, and you’ll literally have people eating outta the palm of your hand!
Breakfast Chilaquiles [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Chilaquiles:
- 2 cups canola oil, for frying
- 8 corn tortillas, cut into quarters or sixths
- 12 ounces extra firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 6 ounces soy chorizo
- 3 cups loosely packed kale, chopped
- 3/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Dash pink Himalayan sea salt
- Chili powder
For the Garnishes:
- 1/2 cup golden cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- Sliced avocado
- Shredded vegan cheese
- Yellow onion, sliced
- Place oven broiler on high.
- Crumble tofu with hands or with a fork, set aside.
- In a frying pan on medium high heat, add oil.
- Once oil is hot, fry tortillas on medium high for about 5-6 minutes, until crispy and golden.
- Place tortilla chips on a paper towel lined plate. Season with salt and chili powder. Set aside.
- In an oven safe skillet on medium-high heat, add 1/2 a teaspoon of the oil used to make tortilla chips.
- Once the oil is hot, add soy chorizo and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add red onion and jalapeño. Sauté for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add kale and sauté another 4-5 minutes.
- Once kale is a bit wilted, add crumbled tofu, curry powder, cumin, and cayenne. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook on medium high for an additional 5-6 minutes, until tofu is cooked through.
- Toss in tortilla chips and mix to combine all the ingredients.
- Garnish with about 1/2 cup vegan shredded cheese and place in oven to broil for about 2-3 minutes. Garnish with additional toppings. Serve hot.