Radishes and turnips go so well together, they'd might as well be best buds. This recipe is a great one to have on hand when you're looking to use up your produce! Cooking the vegetables in the broth first will make them tender, and the broth neutralizes some of that bitter flavor. Finally, sautéing the radish and turnip in butter caramelizes the vegetables and brings out a sweetness you never would have known that radishes could have! Faced with an abundance of summer radishes? This smart side dish transforms them into a sweet and savory delight!
Butter-Braised Radishes and Turnips [Vegan, Grain-Free]
For the Vegetables:
- 1/2 pound radishes, cut into quarters
- 1 pound turnips, cut to the same size as the radishes
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- About 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Fresh cracked pepper to taste
For the Mint Oil:
- 1/4 cup mint
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Ice bath
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan and add the radishes and turnips. Add vegetable broth to the pan until the vegetables are halfway submerged. Cover and cook over medium-high heat until the vegetables are just starting to become tender (about 15 minutes).
- Remove the lid and continue cooking until most of the liquid is cooked down and the vegetables become shiny and glazed.
- Meanwhile, bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add the mint leaves to the boiling water and blanch for 10 seconds. Then add them to an ice bath. Next, dab the mint leaves dry and blend them with olive oil in a food processor or with an immersion blender until the mint is finely chopped.
- Serve with the mint oil drizzled over the butter-braised radishes and turnips.