Medu Vadas are a traditional South Indian dish which can be served as a main course, side dish, or snack. They are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. They are served with Sambar and Coconut Chutney.
Medhu Vada: Savory Indian Lentil Doughnuts [Vegan]
- 1 cup of white lentils (urad dal)
- Plenty of water for soaking
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 and ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
- Oil for deep frying
- Soak the lentils overnight and drain well, in a colander. This will remain some residual water.
- Place the lentils with the ginger, salt, baking soda and peppercorns in a food processor.
- Process for about 5 minutes, with a few pulses, before turning on continuously for 2 minutes.
- Remove to a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a wok for 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Take a small amount of the lentil mixture in your palm, insert a small clean hole in the center and gently lower into the oil.
- Do this with about 4 pieces, to fill the wok without crowding the wok.
- Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side until golden crisp and turn and fry on the other side.,
- Remove and drain on paper towels, until all the batter is used up.