Medu Vadas are a traditional South Indian dish which can be served as a main course, side dish, or snack. They are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. They are served with Sambar and Coconut Chutney.
Medhu Vada: Savory Indian Lentil Doughnuts [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Medhu Vada: Savory Indian Lentil Doughnuts [Vegan]
- 1 cup of white lentils (urad dal)
- Plenty of water for soaking
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 and ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
- Oil for deep frying
How to Prepare Medhu Vada: Savory Indian Lentil Doughnuts [Vegan]
- Soak the lentils overnight and drain well, in a colander. This will remain some residual water.
- Place the lentils with the ginger, salt, baking soda and peppercorns in a food processor.
- Process for about 5 minutes, with a few pulses, before turning on continuously for 2 minutes.
- Remove to a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a wok for 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Take a small amount of the lentil mixture in your palm, insert a small clean hole in the center and gently lower into the oil.
- Do this with about 4 pieces, to fill the wok without crowding the wok.
- Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side until golden crisp and turn and fry on the other side.,
- Remove and drain on paper towels, until all the batter is used up.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.