These wonderfully tart tartlets have a delectable blueberry filling and a perfectly crispy oatmeal walnut crust. They are the perfect holiday dessert if indulgent chocolate treats aren't your thing.
Blueberry Tartlets With Oatmeal Walnut Crust [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crust:
- 4 sheets vegan graham crackers
- 1/2 cup whole rolled oats (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- Dash of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
For the Filling:
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1/3 cup raw sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour (whisked into equal parts water)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (also whisked into water)
- Pre-heat to 350°F.
- Add all the dry ingredients to your food processor and run until finely chopped. Then add the vanilla and oil on the pulse setting, drizzling them in until the mix sticks together. If you go through the 1/3 cup of oil and it's not terribly coherent, simply add a teaspoon or two of vegan milk, also on pulse, until it is. Then press it into your pre-sprayed tartlet pans: approximately 3 tablespoons each. Press it in as tightly as possible. Bake for about 10 minutes until the edges are just getting brown.
- Get the berries going in a medium saucepan. If they're frozen, add a splash of water to get them started. Then add the sugar.
- To prep the starch and flour, simply whisk those into a couple tablespoons of water until dissolved. Then, once the berries have cooked down a bit, add this slurry to the pan, whisking constantly until it's thickened. Maybe 5-7 minutes. Allow it to cool for a few minutes, then ladle it off into the crusts. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.