These Blueberry Phyllo Turnovers are amazing! They are perfect dessert to bring to a holiday party or just to keep in your kitchen for a quick dessert. So flaky, buttery, and absolutely delicious. Also, they're vegan and gluten-free! They are sure to be showstoppers at any family dinner!
Blueberry Phyllo Turnovers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Filling:
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 package of phyllo dough (gluten-free*)
- coconut oil (for brushing)
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons almond, hemp, or coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Combine the blueberries, coconut sugar, and lemon juice in a small pan on the stove. Cook on medium (4-6) heat for 5-10 minutes, then allow to simmer until the mixture reduces and thickens.
- Add chia seeds to the mixture, whisk until well-combined. Allow to sit and thicken.
- Place thawed phyllo dough on a sheet of parchment paper. Cut sheet into 6 squares (once lengthwise and then cut the two long strips into thirds). Transfer parchment paper with the dough to a large baking sheet.
- Place a large spoonful of the cooled filling into the lower corner of one phyllo pastry square and brush the edges with coconut oil. Fold the opposite corner over into a triangle to seal.
- Brush each turnover with more coconut oil and bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown. Check halfway through baking and turn the pan around if one side is browning faster than the other.
- While the turnovers cool, whisk the glaze ingredients in a small bowl. The mixture should be thick, not runny; if needed, add more powdered sugar or plant-based milk.
- Drizzle glaze over each phyllo turnover and serve. Makes 6 turnovers.