When your blueberries start to wane and soften and you're about to throw them out – don't! Make this tasty blueberry crisp instead. Made with juicy blueberries, tart lemon, and a crispy, cinnamon-y top, this dessert is a winner, for sure. Can there be anything better than a gooey warm fruit filling with a crumbly sweet topping? We think not! Serve these warm on their own or with a big scoop of vanilla (vegan) ice cream.
Blueberry Lemon Almond Crisp [Vegan]
For the Crisp:
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted vegan butter, cut into cubes
For the Blueberry Filling:
- 2 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine. Add the chunks of butter and work them into the flour mixture with your fingertips until well combined and crumbly. Add the sliced almonds and work them into the crisp so that they're evenly distributed. Set aside.
- In a small prep bowl, stir together the water and cornstarch to form a slurry. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add the blueberries, sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice, stir and heat over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until sugar dissolves and mixture starts to bubble. Add the slurry and cook for one minute until mixture thickens.
- Transfer the blueberry mixture into four 1/2-cup ramekins. Top the blueberry filling with crumbles of the crisp topping.
- Cover a baking sheet with tin foil or parchment paper. Set the ramekins on the baking sheet and cook for 25-30 minutes or until browned and bubbly.