These Blueberry Caramelized Maple Pecan Breakfast Bars are a treat worth waking up for. These bars are not only healthy; they are extremely satisfying for breakfast as well as a sweet treat. They have a hint of blueberry with a lovely caramelized maple pecan crunch. They are naturally refined sugar, vegan and gluten-free.
Blueberry Caramelized Maple Pecan Breakfast Bars Drizzled with Chocolate [Vegan]
For the Maple Pecans:
- 2 cups Raw Pecans
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
For the Bars:
- 2 cups Caramelized Maple Pecans
- 2 cups oats - toasted
- 3 cups brown rice crispy cereal
- 1 cup quinoa crunch - or an additional cup of rice cereal
- 1/2 cup freeze-dried blueberries
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2/3 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon extract hazelnut or vanilla
- 4-ounce vegan chocolate chips
For the Maple Pecans:
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees and place rack in the middle of the oven.
- Add all the ingredients to a cast iron or a saute pan and then cook over medium heat.
- As soon as it starts to bubble or get hot, stir continuously, they will start to get really sticky.
- When all the moisture is gone and the syrup on the pan starts to become golden, remove from heat. (about 6 – 8 minutes)
- Spread onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Separate them a bit. Let cool.
- Place the pecans in the oven on the middle rack for 8 minutes. Remove and let cool completely.
- Chop up the pecans into fairly small pieces, set aside.
For the Oats:
- In a large cast iron or nonstick pan over medium heat, add the oats and stir frequently for about 5 - 7 minutes or until they start to smell toasted.
To Assemble the Breakfast Bars:
- In a small pan on medium heat, add the brown rice syrup, maple syrup, coconut oil and salt.
- While cooking, in a large bowl, add the all the dry ingredients together along with the remaining 1/4 cup of blueberries, the one cup of the chopped pecans and mix well.
- When the syrup comes to a boil, add in the extract and cook for 1 minute then mix into the dry ingredients.
- Pour into a 9 by 13-inch pan and leave it fluffy for a minute while you sprinkle on the remaining cup of pecans and blueberries.
- Press everything down as hard as you can with the back of a spatula.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Remove from the fridge and cut the bars into 14 - 16 bars.
For the Chocolate Drizzle:
- Melt the vegan chocolate in a double boiler on low or in a larger bowl over another bowl making sure it's snug.
- With a spoon, drizzle the chocolate all over the bars.
- Keep refrigerated.