What's a buckle? A buckle is a lot like a crisp or crumble, but instead of a base of fruit, it has a base of dense, sweet cake with a crisp fruit streusel topping. This sweet treat makes a great grab-and-go breakfast, a side at a brunch feast, or you can eat it for dessert — just add a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream on top!
Blueberry Bourbon Basil Buckle [Vegan]
For the Buckle:
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or substitute for more all-purpose flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoon baking power
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup, plus 1 tablespoon non-dairy milk of choice
For the Blueberry Topping:
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1/4 cup bourbon whiskey
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a 13x9-inch baking dish by lightly spraying with non-stick spray.
- Begin by preparing your flax egg. In a small dish or cup, combine flax meal with 3 tablespoons water. Set aside to form a gel.
- In another small bowl, combine the blueberry topping ingredients and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the flax egg and mix again.
- In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flours, salt, baking powder, and basil leaves). Slowly add this to the bowl of the mixer and beat on low. Alternate the flour with the milk until thoroughly combined. The dough should be thinner than bread dough, but thicker than pancake batter.
- Spread batter on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with blueberry mixture.
- Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool before slicing.
- Serve as a breakfast/brunch side dish, or serve slightly warm with non-dairy ice cream for a delicious summer dessert.