So, what makes this pizza a "Bloody Mary" pizza you ask? Vegan vodka sauce! This sauce is seriously life changing. Not only will you want it on your pizza, but you'll probably find yourself putting it on everything in your kitchen. This sauce has just the right amount of spice to elevate your pizza game from drab to fab, but not so much that you're running to the nearest glass of water. The olive and eggplant bacon toppings really tie all of the flavors together into the perfect pizza interpretation of a bloody Mary. However, don't feel compelled to drink what you eat. This pizza can be served with beer, water, or any other cocktail that might be floating your fancy....
Bloody Mary Pizza [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Bloody Mary Pizza [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Base:
- Pizza dough of choice (vegan, gluten-free, etc...)
For the Toppings:
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella
- 1/2 cup vegan cheese shreds
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped eggplant bacon
- 1/2 tomato thinly sliced
- 1-2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1/4-1/2 cup green olives
- Celery leaves, for garnish (optional)
For the Vodka Sauce:
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 3 leaves of fresh basil roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon smoked salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
How to Prepare Bloody Mary Pizza [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Prepare the vodka sauce first by sautéeing the garlic and onion in olive oil on medium heat until translucent.
- Pour in the entire can of whole tomatoes, including the liquid, and all in all remaining ingredients excluding the vodka and coconut milk. Bring the sauce to a boil then reduce the heat and allow it to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Gently stir in the vodka and allow the sauce to continue simmering for another 15 minutes. The whole tomatoes should be falling apart in the sauce, but if not, or if the chunks are too big for your liking, gently squish them with your spatula or spoon.
- Stir in the coconut milk and allow the sauce to cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. At this point, if you would prefer a creamy sauce feel free to purée the sauce to remove any chunks.
- Prepare your pizza crust according to its recipe or packaging. For example, you may have to bake the crust alone before putting the sauce and toppings on and baking it again.
- Top your crust with a thick layer of vodka sauce and your toppings. Bake as directed by the crust packaging instructions or recipe. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.