There’s a joke that vegans can make bacon out of anything, and we do—anything from mushrooms to coconut and even seaweed. Dulse is reddish-brown seaweed that grows in the northern Atlantic and Pacific. Like all sea veggies, it’s a good source of vitamins and minerals, and it’s high in protein by weight. When toasted, it takes on the texture of bacon. Here, we crumble it and stuff it into a pita for a plant-based spin on the BLT!
Recipe from The No Meat Athlete Cookbook: Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes to Fuel Your Workouts and the Rest of Your Life © Matt Frazier and Stepfanie Romine, 2017. Photographs copyright © Ken Carlson, Waterbury Publications Inc. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold. theexperimentpublishing.com
BLAT (Bacon, Lettuce, Avocado & Tomato) Pitas [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for BLAT (Bacon, Lettuce, Avocado & Tomato) Pitas [Vegan]
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil (OF: omit)
- 1/2 cup (10 g) dulse, picked through and separated
- Few drops liquid smoke
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1/4 cup (5 g) chopped cilantro
- 2 scallions (white and light green parts), sliced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Four 8-inch (20 cm) whole-wheat pitas
- 4 cups (115 g) greens (mixed baby greens or chopped romaine)
- 4 plum tomatoes, sliced
How to Prepare BLAT (Bacon, Lettuce, Avocado & Tomato) Pitas [Vegan]
- Place a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Once it’s warm, add the coconut oil, then the dulse and liquid smoke. Toss to combine.
- Cook, stirring often, until the dulse is crispy, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and season with pepper to taste.
- Mash the avocado with cilantro, scallions, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice the pitas in half and toast lightly. Gently open them, and divide the avocado mixture evenly into all 8 halves.
- Divide the greens, tomatoes, and dulse evenly among the pitas and serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.