This is a beautiful take on a classic chili and the addition of kale makes it hearty and nutritious. The black eyed peas provide a sturdy foundation for the plethora of spices, garlic, and onion that go into creating the flavor of this chili and the kale adds a nice bit of texture to make this recipe a 'bowl' in one.
Black-Eyed Peas and Kale Chili [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 cups cooked black-eyed peas
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Poblano chili, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3-4 cups fresh kale, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons agave
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a soup pan.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook them until the onions are lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chopped poblanos and jalapeno and cook the mixture for 3-4 minutes or until the chilis are tender.
- Stir in the black-eyed peas, tomatoes with the juice, ground cumin, ground coriander, cayenne pepper, stock, and water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer this for about 10 minutes.
- Add the dijon mustard and the agave. Stir everything well and cook it for 1 minute.
- Stir in the chopped kale and simmer the mixture for 10 more minutes or until the greens are wilted.
- Season it with salt and pepper.