A good veggie burger is only as good as its ingredients. Black bean burgers would be terribly bland if you just smashed up some beans and made it into a patty. It needs to be treated like any entree. The varieties of flavors you can add are endless. I tend to go for a spicier burger with lots of onion, bell pepper, and a good amount of seasoning while this super simple cilantro lime sauce is a great topper for a spicy burger. It is cool and tangy.
Black Bean Burgers With Cilantro Lime Sauce [Vegan]
For the Burgers:
- 2 1/2 cups cooked or canned black beans
- 1 cup gluten-free oats, ground into flour
- 1/2 bell pepper finely diced
- 1/2 red onion finely diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped fine
- 1/4 jalapeño finely diced, plus more if desired
- 1/4 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
For the Cilantro Lime Sauce:
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
To Make the Burgers:
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat pan on stove medium high with the oil.
- Reserve 3/4 cup beans.
- Place all other ingredients in the food processor and pulse until combined but still slightly chunky. Stir in remaining beans.
- Form patties. You should be able to make about eight.
- Fry in oil for a few minutes on each side until browned and crispy. Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes.
To Make the Cilantro Lime Sauce:
- Mix all ingredients. Put in as much lime zest as you can get/want.
- If possible, refrigerate for a few hours to enhance flavors.
To ensure the recipe has no trace amounts of gluten, select oats that are certified gluten-free