This chorizo breakfast burrito is deliciously spicy. Black beans, tofu, and vegan chorizo combined with a smooth cashew chipotle cream make the perfect filling, protein-rich breakfast to start your day. What's great about this recipe is that you can store the remaining burritos in the refrigerator for an easy breakfast all week long, or even double the batch to freeze for future use. If you're not on the go, enjoy this burrito with some fresh pico de gallo and avocado slices.
Black Bean and Chorizo Breakfast Burrito [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Black Bean and Chorizo Breakfast Burrito [Vegan]
- 16 ounces firm tofu
- 1 15-ounce can black beans
- 1 package vegan chorizo
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil or other cooking oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- Pico de gallo, for garnish (recommended)
- Cilantro, for garnish (optional)
How to Prepare Black Bean and Chorizo Breakfast Burrito [Vegan]
- Soak the cashews for 2 hours or overnight, then drain. If you’re short on time, you can boil the cashews for 10 minutes to soften.
- In a large skillet, heat the grapeseed oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for 1-2 minutes, until the onion becomes slightly translucent then add the garlic. Sauté for another minute, then add the chorizo. Keep stirring for 1-2 minutes, then crumble in the tofu.
- Mix the tofu into the chorizo until it is thoroughly covered and the tofu turns orange. You want the chorizo flavor to get into the tofu. Stir in the black beans and reduce heat to medium. Cook for another 3-5 minutes, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, combine the soaked cashews, sea salt, salsa, and optional chili powder in a high-powered blender. Mix on high until the chipotle cream is smooth.
- Heat the tortillas in a covered skillet on medium heat for 10-20 seconds. Spoon a dollop of chipotle cream onto a tortilla and top it with a heaping scoop of the chorizo mixture. Roll up your burrito and top it with more chipotle cream, avocado, and pico de gallo.
Will keep in the refrigerator for five days.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.