This dish is about as simple as it gets. It is a starter dish that is enjoyed at the beginning of a meal. A simple everyday stir-fry that uses bitter melon and is a classic starter on the Bengali table.
Bitter Melon, Potato, and Eggplant Indian-Style Stir Fry [Vegan]
- 2 small potatoes
- 3 medium-sized slender Japanese variety eggplants
- 1 medium-sized bitter melon (korola)
- 2 tablespoons oil (preferably mustard oil)
- 1 teaspoon panch phoron (Bengali 5-Spice)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- Dice the eggplants and set aside. Peel the potatoes and dice and set aside (note, if you wish, you can use organic red skinned potatoes and leave the skin on).
- Dice the bitter melon and leave any visible seeds
- Heat the oil on medium heat for about 1 minute and add in the panch phoron (Bengali 5 spice) and wait until the spice crackles.
- Add in the mixed diced vegetables and stir well.
- Shake over the turmeric and the salt and mix well. Cover and cook the mixture for about 5 minutes on low heat, remove the cover and check the mixture for softness. The potatoes should be lightly crisped and soft.
- Stir the cayenne pepper and mix well. Cook for another minute and serve with rice and lentils for a classic Bengali style first course.