This is a really simple and delicious recipe for barfi (Indian-style fudge) made with dates and besan (chickpea flour). The besan gives the barfi a nutty flavor and a melt-in-your-mouth texture, and the dates are a unique addition! You can also throw in a handful of nuts such as pistachios, almonds, or cashews for an added burst of crunchy texture.
Besan Barfi: Date and Chickpea Fudge [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 1/2 cup besan/kadalai maavu/chickpea flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 6 tablespoons light-tasting oil
- 1/2 cup water
- Grease a plate or tray with little oil. Heat a pan – or kadai if you have one – and add 1 teaspoon oil. Roast besan until the raw smell goes away. Remove from the heat and sieve it till you get a fine flour. Mix chopped dates with besan and keep it aside. Heat sugar and water in a pan. Prepare sugar syrup by heating sugar and water in a pan.
- Once sugar is completely dissolved, change the flame to medium. Stir the syrup till it reaches one string consistency. Take a drop of syrup and check it between your thumb and fore-finger. Once it forms a single thread, switch off the flame and keep the syrup aside. This may probably take 8-10 mins. Meanwhile, heat oil in another pan.
- Now, start adding besan flour to sugar syrup and stir frequently to avoid lumps. Keep the flame to low while adding flour. Once you have added all the flour, stir it for five more minutes. Now, add hot oil and stir again.
- Cook till the mixture start leaving the sides of the pan. Remove from the heat. Pour the mixture over greased tray or plate. Cut into square pieces or any shapes you like. Store in an airtight container and serve.