This simple yet oh-so comforting savory pie is filled with all kinds of goodness like beets, olives, capers, and more! All of these delicious veggies are wrapped in a buttery, flaky pie crust made from protein-packed quinoa flour and whole wheat flour. Who said that pies had to be sweet?
Beet and Olive Pie With Quinoa Flour Crust [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- Scant 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/5 cup of quinoa flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- Scant 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2/5 cup and 1 teaspoon of cold water
- 1/3 teaspoon of whole salt
For the Filling:
- 4 beets with greens
- 10 black olives
- 2 medium white or 1 large onions
- 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon capers
- Black pepper
- In a bowl, combine flours and salt and mix well. Make a well, add oil and water, and knead until you get a smooth and homogenous mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Drain the capers and olives and soak them in a little water. Boil a little water in a pot and cook the beets for 5 minutes. Drain and cut roughly. Squeeze excess liquid out of beets.
- Cut the onions and put in a saucepan and cook over high heat in a little water until full absorption. Lower the flame, add the oil, and let it brown for 1-2 minutes. Sauté the beet greens at this time as well. Mix in the sliced beets and tomato sauce. Add the olives and the capers drained from the water where you let them soak. Adjust salt and pepper if needed. Cook for about 5 minutes. Let it cool.
- Preheat the oven at 390°F. Split the dough into two. Thin the dough and cover a 7-inch diameter round mold with one of the dough pieces. Poke holes in the bottom with a fork.
- Distribute the filling and then cover the cake with the other dough, sealing the edges well with your fingers and eliminating any excess. Sprinkle with a little oil. Bake for 30 minutes. Let it cool before serving.