Crispy crunchy fries that use string beans in place of potatoes! The green beans make french fries healthier, but if you want to make this recipe even cleaner you can reduce the amount of frying oil or bake them. The lager used in the batter adds another layer of rich flavor to the fries. The best thing about these crispy string beans is that they can go well with pretty much whatever sauce you pair them with.
Beer Battered String Bean Fries [Vegan]
- 20-25 string beans (about 2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons lager-style beer
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Canola oil, for frying
- Ketchup, for serving (optional)
- Combine beer, flour, and seasonings in a medium-sized bowl. Add the string beans and stir to coat.
- Add enough canola oil to a large heavy bottomed skillet to coat it with about 1/8-inch. Heat until it shimmers, but don't let it smoke.
- Add half the string beans to the pan, spreading them out so they don't stick together while they are cooking. Cook for about 1 minute, and flip the beans using a large spatula. Cook about 1 more minute, or until golden brown. Repeat with the other half of the beans.
- Beans - Green