This vegan take on fajitas is such a go-to dinner recipe for busy weeknight evenings. It's quick to make, doesn't create a lot of dishes; and if you don't feel like mixing your own seasoning and making the pico de gallo and guacamole, these can be readily purchased in almost any store to speed things up. The biggest bonus is that everyone around the table gets excited when they realize it's fajita night.
Bean and Mushroom Fajitas [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Bean and Mushroom Fajitas [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Seasoning:
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
For the Fajitas:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced in long slices
- 1 14-ounce can kidney beans (1 1/2 cups)
- 10 White Button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 large tortillas (gluten-free if desired)
For the Toppings (Optional):
How to Prepare Bean and Mushroom Fajitas [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Seasoning:
- Mix together in a small bowl.
- If you want to warm up the tortillas, wrap them in parchment paper and place in the oven at 400°F for 10 - 15 minutes, until warm to touch.
To Make the Fajitas:
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the peppers and onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans and white mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Mix the fajita seasoning and water in a small glass until seasoning is completely dissolved in the water. Add to the vegetables and cook for 2-3 more minutes, until most of the water evaporates.
- Divide the vegetable mixture among the 4 tortillas.
The vegetable/bean mixture can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply fry in a large pan over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.