This recipe works best when you're looking for an easy and simple dinner that's going to be delicious. Try adding macadamia nuts for an added crunch, and with the coconut milk, it adds a sweet and mild flavor to the nutty brown rice. You could also pair this rice with a spicy curry!
Basil Coconut Brown Rice [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the rice:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, minced
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
For the Roasted Vegetables:
- 1/2 red onion, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 summer squash, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- drizzle of olive oil
- pinch of thyme
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup macadamia nuts, chopped (optional)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and onion. Saute until fragrant. Add brown rice and stir until rice is coated with oil.
- Add water and coconut milk, bring to a boil. Turn down heat, stir in salt and basil. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, add onion, squash and zucchini.
- Drizzle with olive oil, add thyme, sea salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and cook for 30 minutes.
- Finish under the broiler for a few minutes or until crispy.
- Serve veggies over rice, top with macadamia nuts.