I know the flavors are little funky/exotic, but TRUST ME - the result is amazing. The ice cream is made from coconut milk (not technically raw) and raw cane sugar, but if you want to use banana ice cream - go right ahead. Just make sure to add some chili powder! In the cookies, the peanut butter flavor comes through right away and then you are hit with the flavor of basil - it works.
Basil and Peanut Butter Cookies With Chili Coconut Ice Cream [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup buckwheat groats (or oats)
- 1 cup dates
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 4 tablespoons peanut butter (or your preferred nut butter)
- 1 can full fat organic coconut milk
- 1/4 cup raw cane sugar (or your preferred sweetener)
- 1-2 teaspoons chili powder, to taste!
- To make the cookies: pulse the buckwheat groats in your food processor until they become a rough flour. Add the rest of the ingredients and process until you can press the mixture in your hand and it sticks together. Press into 10 cookies and dehydrate for a few hours if desired. Or put them in the fridge.
- To make the ice cream: blend all ingredients until smooth. It will taste SO GOOD. If you have an ice cream maker, use it. If not, Put the ice cream mixture in a container and put it in the freezer, stirring it every 30 minutes until it's all solid.
- Assembly: you know what to do. Cookie. Ice cream scoop. Cookie. Bite. Smile.