One of the plants with the most potential uses is banana. Each part of it never needs to be neglected or discarded. Banana leaf is used to serve, banana flower can be used in making cutlets or stir fry, the stem is edible in the form of another yummy stir fry, and banana itself can be either eaten raw or cooked! Even the banana peel can turn into a very delicious stir fry to be paired with rice. Isn't it amazing?
Banana Peel Stir Fry [Vegan]
- Skin of 2 raw plantains / bananas, cleaned
- 1/2 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 5-6 shallots, sliced
- 2 dry red chilis
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of jeera/cumin seeds
- 2 green chilis
- 3/4 cup of grated coconut
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons of oil, preferably coconut oil
- Slice the plantain peel into small and thin pieces. Keep it aside in a bowl, filled with water.
- In a pan, put the oil. Add the mustard seeds and wait for them to pop.
- Add the sliced shallots, red chilis and curry leaves and saute. Add half of the turmeric powder and stir.
- Squeeze out water from the banana peel and add it into the pan. Sprinkle some salt and mix it all well. Turn down the heat to medium low.
- Let it cook for about 10 minutes, while you stir it every couple of minutes, to avoid sticking or burning.
- Meanwhile, take the grated coconut, remaining turmeric powder, green chillies and cumin seeds in a blender jar. Blend it or pulse it just to crush everything together.
- Add it to the banana peel mixture and mix it well. Cover and cook it for 2-3 minutes. Then stir it again and cook it uncovered for another minute.
- Serve it hot with some rice and moru curry.
Chopping the banana peel thin and into small pieces helps it to cook faster. Placing the chopped banana peel in the water prevents it from turning dark in color.