In case you’ve never had blondies, they’re the best of a chocolate chip cookie and a brownie all in one. This recipe is no exception. They walk the line between cakey and fudgey. They’ve got a full, almost nutty, caramelized, butter flavor. Surprisingly, the Oreo cookies are texturally similar to chocolate chips – not quite crunchy, but something to bite into that gives way to a soft, gushy center.
Banana Oreo Blondies [Vegan]
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray or grease an 8-inch round or square baking pan.
- Use an electric mixer to cream together the margarine and the sugars.
- Add the mashed banana and the vanilla extract.
- Reduce the speed of the mixer and add the flour, baking soda and salt. Increase speed until well incorporated.
- Add the vinegar and 1/2 cup of the crushed Oreo cookies. Mix until just combined and quickly transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Once the vinegar is added it will start to react with the baking soda, so you want to get the blondies in the oven quickly.
- Sprinkle the top with the leftover 1/2 cup of crushed Oreo cookies. Bake for 27-30 minutes, until “blonde” or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the blondies to cool completely before attempting to remove from the pan. Use a butter knife and run it around the edge of the pan to loosen the cake. Place a plate, upside down, on top of the baking pan. Carefully, but swiftly, flip the whole mechanism over. Give the baking pan a little wiggle and lift up. Use another plate and inverse again, to get the blondies facing right side up. Cut into nine equal sized pieces. Wrap or store in an airtight container. Best when fresh!