What's not to love about banana bread? It's moist, dense, sweet, and with that perfect pairing of banana, walnuts and cinnamon that go together so well.
Banana Nut Bread [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar (plus an extra sprinkle for the top)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (plus an extra sprinkle for the top)
- 4 medium bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 container plain non-dairy yogurt
- 1/4 cup neutral tasting oil (like coconut, canola, sunflower, etc)
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon soy milk (or another thick non-dairy milk)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine the whole wheat pastry flour, the all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cinnamon.
- In a smaller bowl, mash 3 of the bananas very well, and mix with the vanilla, yogurt, oil and soy milk.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold until combined, without over mixing.
- Fold in the chopped walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- For decoration, if desired, cut the remaining banana in half lengthwise, and add the two halves cut side up on top of the batter in the pan. Dust with a little sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the top is golden, let cool slightly and enjoy!