Not only does this recipe make the most moist, delicious banana cupcakes, but you can bake the batter into cake pans for the best banana layer cake ever!
Banana Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Icing [Vegan]
For the Banana Cupcakes:
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons plant-based egg replacer 2 teaspoons *or any egg replacer you prefer according to the package instructions for 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large ripe mashed banana for 1 cup puree
- 1/3 cup soy milk
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts *optional
For the Cream Cheese Icing:
- 8 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 8-ounce package vegan cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Cream the vegan butter with the sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy this will take approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Sift the flour, baking powder & soda, the plant-based egg *if using* with the salt and cinnamon.
- Combine the vanilla extract to the soy milk
- Once the butter is creamed sufficiently add ⅓ of the sifted dry ingredients mix just until combined.
- Add 1/2 of the soy milk vanilla mixture and mix just until blended
- Add another 1/3 of the dry ingredients while mixing on low, then add the remaining milk and then the last of the dry.
- Add the mashed banana last mix well to incorporate.
- Scoop the batter into paper lined cupcake molds filling half full and bake immediately in a preheated 375°F oven for approximately 20 minutes or until springy to the touch when you gently press the centers.
- Cool completely while you prepare the cream cheese icing.
- Mix the softened vegan butter with the confectioners' sugar until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and the apple cider vinegar then add the vegan cream cheese and blend smooth.
- Ice cupcakes and sprinkle with additional chopped toasted nuts *optional.