If you’ve spoken to my mom lately you might know that I won a Cooking Channel competition with this recipe. Inspired by a dish at Salt & Pepper Diner in Chicago, these moist cupcakes combine cinnamon, maple, and banana for a breakfasty-dessert.
Banana Bread French Toast Cupcakes [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Banana Bread French Toast Cupcakes [Vegan]
For the Cupcakes:
- 1/2 cup overripe banana, mashed
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup rice or soy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
For the Frosting:
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 6 tablespoons non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
- 6 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon maple extract
- A pinch of salt
How to Prepare Banana Bread French Toast Cupcakes [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line pan with paper liners.
- Toast walnuts in a 350°F oven for just a few minutes – 4-5 should do the trick. Cool, then chop into small pieces.
- Throw your mashed banana in a blender or just smash it with a fork.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and sugar into a large bowl, mix well.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the oil, soy or rice milk, vanilla, almond, and mashed banana.
- Stir or fold the wet ingredients into the dry. Small lumps are fine. Finally, add the walnuts, folding gently.
- Fill liners 2/3 full. Bake 20-22 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely before frosting.
- To make the vegan maple buttercream frosting, beat all of the ingredients together until they’re light and fluffy.
Total Calories: 4248 | Total Carbs: 492 g | Total Fat: 252 g | Total Protein: 14 g | Total Sodium: 2903 mg | Total Sugar: 439 g Per Serving: Calories: 354 | Carbs: 41 g | Fat: 21 g | Protein: 1 g | Sodium: 242 mg | Sugar: 37 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.