A gorgeous breakfast idea for you today… it’s yummy, filling and has the balance of satisfying grain, gorgeous greens and heart-healthy beans in the form of a tofu “egg” patty. Delicious meets nutritious! The “egg” patty is the star of this breakfast show and is so easy to make if you have the right kind of tofu. Look for one that is super firm and is in a package that looks like it’s vacuum packed. Wildwood brand has one that’s great, especially because it’s sprouted which makes the soy beans easier to digest.
Balanced Breakfast Bowl [Vegan]
- 1 cup polenta
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup unsweetened, plant-based milk
- 2 cups, tightly-packed, roughly chopped greens, any kind
- 4 slices super firm tofu
- 1/2 teaspoon Kala Namak black salt
- handful of cherry tomatoes and some sprouts for garnish
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons tamari or other low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Slice the tofu. Make four 1/2-inch thick pieces. Save the rest for another dish.
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together and place the tofu slices in, letting them soak for about one hour or more (overnight is fine, too).
- Bring 3 cups of water and a pinch of salt (optional) to a low boil and gently whisk in the grits. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until all of the liquid is absorbed. Whisk frequently while they're cooking to avoid sticking and clumping.
- When all of the water is absorbed add 1 cup plant-based milk and stir well. Remove from heat.
- Steam the greens while your grits are cooking.
- Cook the tofu patties on a non-stick skillet until golden on both sides, then lightly sprinkle with the Kala Namak.
- Assemble your bowls, topping with some cherry tomatoes and sprouts, or any other fresh veggie you prefer!