Fresh turmeric is sort of hard to come by in my neck of the woods, but I went on a special pilgrimage to my local healthy foods store for this recipe. You might want to wear gloves if you’re using the fresh stuff as it turns your hands yellow! Feel free to sub with the dry stuff if you don’t want to go on a pilgrimage like me! These are perfect picnic food!
Baked Turmeric Falafel [Vegan]
- 8.5 ounces chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 inch piece of fresh turmeric, peeled and grated or 1 tbsp dried turmeric
- 3/4 ounce of parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Zest and juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375f. Line a baking tray with silpat or parchment paper and set aside.
- In a food processor combine all the ingredients and process until a dough forms. Using a teaspoon spoon scoop out the falafel dough and roll into balls using your hands.
- Place the falafels on the baking tray and repeat until all the mixture is used up. I ended up with 16.
- Bake the falafels for 20 minutes, turning once or until crispy. Serve with hummus in wraps or with salad!