Sweet potato fries are such great snack or side, but if you are trying to eat healthier, try baking them instead. The tricky part is getting them crispy, as sweet potatoes are naturally softer than other types of potatoes, and take a few extra steps to get the result you’re looking for. Healthy baked sweet potato fries with vegan lemon caper aioli makes a delicious and addictive treat!
Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Lemon Caper Aioli [Vegan]
For the Lemon Caper Aioli:
- 1/3 cup cashews
- 1/3 cup water
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon capers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon parsley, chopped
For the Sweet Potato Fries:
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch long fries
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- To make the Lemon Caper Aioli, place the cashews, water, lemon juice, sea salt and black pepper in a blender. Puree until smooth and then transfer to a small bowl. Mix in the chopped capers by hand and stir well. Set aside until ready to use.
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- Peel and cut the sweet potato into the 3 inch long strips between 1/4-inch and 1/2-inch wide. Transfer the sweet potato fries to a mixing bowl and toss in the arrowroot powder until well coated. Add the olive oil and toss again. Do not add the salt until the end.
- Spread the sweet potato fries onto an oiled sheet pan with about 1/2-inch between the fries. Don’t crowd them or they will steam each other and come out too soft.
- Place the sheet pan in the oven and roast for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip the fries and place back in the oven for another 15 minutes.
- After the cooking time is complete, turn off the oven and open the oven door. Allow the fries to stay in the open oven for 10 minutes to help them get crispy.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.