Pakodas, or crispy, fried fritters, are a popular snack in India. This recipe keeps this snack's ingredients pretty much the same – onions, chickpea and rice flour, curry leaves, seasoning – but bakes them, instead! The result is a pakoda that's crispy on the outside and soft and spongy on the inside. Perfect with a squeeze of lemon or some chutney to dip.
Baked Onion Pakodas: Crispy Indian Onion Fritters [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Baked Onion Pakodas: Crispy Indian Onion Fritters [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup sliced onion (or 1/2 cup sliced onion and 1/2 cup cabbage)
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, diced
- 6 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 3 tablespoons rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- Salt, to taste
- 5-6 curry leaves, shredded
- 2-3 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons water
How to Prepare Baked Onion Pakodas: Crispy Indian Onion Fritters [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a medium baking tray with foil. Brush or spread a little oil.
- In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients adding just a teaspoon of water at a time, until a sticky batter is formed.
- Drop spoonfuls of the batter onto the baking tray, spreading it a bit so that there are holes in the batter.
- Bake at 425°F for 20-22 minutes until browned. Remove before the edges begin to burn.If they're not crispy enough, reduce oven temperature to 350°F and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with ketchup or chutney.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 633 | Total Carbs: 52 g | Total Fat: 43 g | Total Protein: 11 g | Total Sodium: 182 g | Total Sugar: 6 g Per Serving: Calories: 317 | Carbs: 26 g | Fat: 22 g | Protein: 6 g | Sodium: 91 mg | Sugar: 3 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.