This was my first time making falafel. I had to try it twice before I got the seasonings right. However, the process itself is so easy, I can’t believe I haven’t tried this before (because I love falafel!) Basically, you place a bunch of clean ingredients into a food processor and pulse until its a “paste” that you can mold with your hands. Then, you pop them in the oven – et voila, falafel patties! Simple, right? While the baked falafel steals the show here, the cucumber noodles work their own separate magic – like a crunchy, refreshing salad. The mint-tahini dressing coats the cucumber noodles and makes every bite flavorful and tangy. Plus – baked falafel has significantly less fat than fried falafel. Instead of frying these chickpea patties, we place them in a cast iron skillet coated with olive oil, which adds flavor, healthy fats and a pretty brown color as it bakes.
Baked Falafel and Cucumber Noodle Salad With Mint-Tahini Dressing [Vegan]
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed, drained and patted dry
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil + more for coating a cast iron skillet
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- zest and juice of 1 small lemon
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped mint
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 cucumber, Blade C, noodles trimmed
- 3 packed cups baby arugula
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a food processor, combine all of the ingredients for the falafel except for the additional oil for coating the cast iron skillet (later step). Process until no longer chunky, about 1 minute. Place into a mixing bowl and add in the egg. Toss to combine thoroughly.
- Scoop out enough of the mixture to make 6 large golf ball sized falafel balls and then shape them into patties by setting them down and pressing down to slightly flatten. Set aside.
- Place the falafel in a cast iron skillet coated lightly with olive oil (about 1 tablespoon.)
- Bake for 12-15 minutes and then flip over and bake another 15 minutes or until the falafel is lightly browned on both sides.
- While the falafel is baking, prepare the dressing and cucumber salad. Place all of the ingredients for the dressing into a bowl and whisk together. Set aside. For the salad, pat dry the cucumber noodles to remove all excess moisture and then combine in a large mixing bowl with the arugula. Toss to combine and divide onto two plates. Set aside.
- When the falafel is done baking, divide equally among the salad plates and drizzle with dressing. Garnish with cherry tomatoes.
- Veggie Meatballs
Please fix the instructions. Remove this: "Place into a mixing bowl and add in the egg. Toss to combine thoroughly."
It has obviously been copied and pasted from another recipe.
Add in the egg? What egg (not listed in ingredients)? Why is an egg even required? Is there a vegan option?