Today’s recipe is my healthified version of chips. I’m calling them baked eggplant parmesan crisps because they taste have that crunchy, salty texture that I crave from chips, but they’re made with eggplant and are delicious dipped in homemade tomato sauce.
Baked Eggplant ‘Parmesan’ Crisps [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 Japanese eggplants, sliced into thin rounds
- 1/2 cup toasted quinoa flour
- 1/2 cup brown rice crispies
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place a wire rack onto a baking sheet, spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- Add the quinoa, spices and salt to a shallow bowl. Crush the brown rice crispies in your hands and add that to the flour mixture. Stir to combine.
- In another shallow bowl, add the almond milk.
- To prepare the chips, dunk one round in almond milk, then coat with breading. Dunk with almond milk again and add another coat of breading. Place on the wire rack.
- Repeat with remaining eggplant until all chips are made.
- Before placing in the oven, give the chips a quick spritz of cooking spray - this will help them get ultra crispy in the oven.
- Bake on the center rack for 20 - 30 minutes until crispy. Flip half way through to ensure even cooking.
- Let cool completely before storing. They're delicious dipped in homemade tomato sauce!