This is the smell of Christmas in the kitchen. These baked apples are easy, simple and absolutely delicious. Use apples which are very ripe if you want the baked apples very sweet.
Baked Apples [Vegan]
- 4 -6 apples
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Turn the oven on to 400°F. With a small spoon, scoop out inner core and seeds from inside of each apple up to bottom (do not go all the way through apple). Arrange apples, cavity side up, in a glass or ceramic baking tray. I used my banana loaf baking tray.
- In a bowl mix the cinnamon, coconut oil, honey, walnuts and lemon juice.
- Fill each cavity with the walnut mixture. Sprinkle remaining walnut mixture on top of the apples.
- Bake the apples 30 to 40 minutes or until you like how tender they are. Rotate the baking tray halfway through the baking.
- Serve it warm, simple as it is or be inspired and add vanilla ice cream or my favorite: sour cherry jam. Sour and sweet are matches in heaven.