A delicious Vietnamese sandwich now with more greens! This salad could be easily made into a sandwich as well, but I wanted to cut down on my bread intake and truly enjoy all the dynamic flavors. If you are gluten-free, you can omit the Vietnamese croutons or substitute the bread for your favorite GF brand. This salad is a bit more involved but don't be intimated by the ingredients list, it is well worth it. This recipe serves two large salads and is vegan, protein-packed and nut-free with a gluten-free option available.
Bahn Mi Salad With Pickled Vegetables and Vietnamese Croutons [Vegan]
- 8 ounces plain tempeh
- 1.5 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Thai chili peppers, sliced OR 1 tablespoon Sriacha (if you don’t want it spicy, feel free to omit)
- 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 0.5 tablespoon natural cane sugar
- 0.25 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- ½ daikon radish, ends cut and thinly sliced
- 1 Vietnamese bun, ends cut off and cut into small cubes
- 1 garlic clove, grated through a microplane
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 0.25 cup vegan mayo
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ garlic cloves, grated through a microplane
- ½ cucumber, thinly sliced on a bias
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- 4 cups greens, (I used baby spinach) divided between two bowls
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Rinse and dry the tempeh. Cut tempeh into 8 triangles. In a shallow pan, whisk together the rest of the ingredients. Marinate tempeh for 20 minutes, turning halfway.
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, sugar and salt together until the sugar is fully dissolved. Add the vegetables and stir around until coated. Let sit for 30 minutes to quick pickle while the tempeh is marinating. After 30 minutes, drain and set aside.
- In a medium bowl (I just rinsed out the pickle bowl) and add the garlic and oil. Let sit for 10 minutes to infuse the oil with the garlic. Strain the garlic out and toss the cubed bread in the oil to coat. Transfer to a lined baking sheet.
- Whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Once the tempeh has marinated, transfer pieces to a lined baking sheet and back for 20 minutes, flipping halfway or until crispy and browned. When you go to flip the tempeh, add the croutons to the oven and bake for 10 minutes until the tempeh is done. If they are browning too quickly, remove from the oven.
- Meanwhile, prepare the salad with the pickled vegetables and prepare the dressing.
- Once the tempeh and croutons are finished cooking, assembly the rest of the salad and drizzle the dressing on top