This thick curry made with baby jackfruit is a delicious and flavorful dinner entrée idea for when you're craving Indian food. Coriander powder is the main spice utilized in this dish and is actually a mixture of coriander seeds, dry chilies, curry leaves, and garlic. Once the jackfruit has been cleaned, making this dish is a snap and can even be done entirely in a pressure cooker if you prefer.
Baby Jackfruit Curry [Vegan]
For the Curry:
- 2 3/4 cups young jackfruit
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 medium tomato
- 2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
- 2 green chilis, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (optional)
- Salt, to taste
- 2-3 cups water
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped coconut
- 2 tablespoons coriander powder
- 2 medium-sized onions
- 1 stick curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
To Clean the Baby Jackfruit:
- Apply coconut oil over your hands and knife. Remove the skin and cut jackfruit into small pieces. Put those pieces in water to avoid brown coloring.
- Heat a pressure cooker and add washed jackfruit pieces along with a little salt and turmeric powder. Pour enough water until the pieces are submerged. Close the lid and pressure cook on low-medium flame for 1 whistle. Remove from the heat and let the pressure settle down. Drain the water completely and keep those cooked pieces aside.
To Make the Masala Paste:
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan. Temper mustard seeds, fennel seeds, and curry leaves. Add chopped onions and sauté for a while. Add coconut pieces and cook until it turns golden brown.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind in a mixer along with 2 tablespoons coriander powder. Add 1 or 2 tablespoons water and blend until you get a smooth paste. Keep it aside.
To Prepare the Curry:
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons oil in a pan. Add chopped tomatoes and green chilis. Mash the pulp. Add mint leaves and sauté a while. Add ginger-garlic paste and stir well.
- Add ground masala paste, red chili powder, and coriander powder. Stir everything well and finally add cooked jackfruit pieces. Mix everything and add 2-3 cups water. Add more water if needed and cook it covered for 15 minutes.
- Add garam masala and salt to taste and cook it covered for another 15-20 minutes on low flame you get a thick curry.