Mind-blowing ice cream–making tip: Blend creamy things like avocado or pre-soaked cashews with full-fat coconut milk and a can of sweetened condensed coconut milk (found in the baking section of most health food stores) to create simple, delicious, vegan ice cream. Frozen spinach adds a touch of iciness for a spot-on ice cream texture while making the ice cream a beautiful deep shade of green. Did we mention it’s no-churn? Reprinted with permission from Vegan Yum by Megan Sadd, Page Street Publishing Co. 2020. Photo credit: Megan Sadd
Avocado-Mint Chip Ice Cream [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Avocado-Mint Chip Ice Cream [Vegan]
For the Ice Cream:
- 4 large ripe avocados, diced
- 1 cup (160 g) raw cashews, soaked for 6+ hours or boiled for 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup (240 ml) sweetened condensed coconut milk
- 1/2 cup (75 g) frozen spinach
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) peppermint extract
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) lime juice
- 2 cups (350 g) dark chocolate chips
For Serving (optional)
- Whipped Coconut Cream
- Chocolate Shavings
How to Prepare Avocado-Mint Chip Ice Cream [Vegan]
- Combine the avocados, cashews, coconut milk, condensed milk, spinach, peppermint extract and lime juice in a high-speed blender. Blend on high until completely smooth.
- Add the chocolate chips. Blend on low until just incorporated, then transfer to a loaf pan. Cover tightly with cling wrap, pressing the film into the surface of the ice cream to prevent the avocado from oxidizing and changing color.
- Freeze for 5 to 6 hours, then scoop and serve! The ice cream will become very firm after 12 hours in the freezer. If it’s not scoopable, let it thaw on the counter to soften, about 30 minutes. Serve with whipped coconut cream and shaved chocolate (if using)!
For more of a Thin Mint cookie vibe, add 1⁄4 cup (22 g) of cocoa or cacao powder when blending the ice cream, and blend a few crushed vegan chocolate sandwich cookies in with the chocolate chips! You can also add 1 tablespoon (6 g) of matcha powder for a deliciously fancy variation.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.