Sometimes a delicious simple sandwich is what you need. In this recipe, a "cheesy," miso-infused cashew spread is layered onto the bread of your choice. Add on creamy avocado, lettuce, sprouts, and some mustard for a delightfully easy meal that will leave you satisfied.
Avocado and Cashew ‘Cheese’ Spread Sandwich [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Sandwich:
- 6 slices of bread (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 sliced red beet
- 1 sliced Chioggia beet
- 4 leaves of lettuce
- 1 sliced carrot
- 1/2 avocado
- Alfalfa sprouts, as needed
- Oil, as needed
- Salt, as needed
- Lemon juice, as needed
- Mustard, as needed
For Cashew "Cheese" Spread:
- 3/5 cup and 1 3/4 tablespoons raw cashews
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon miso (optional)
- Water, as needed
- Salt, as needed
- Wash and dry all vegetables. Remove the peel from the Chiogga beet and slice it thinly. Put the slices in a bowl with a few salt, oil, and a few drops of lemon juice for half an hour.
- Prepare the cashew cheese by blending all the ingredients and adding a little water at a time to obtain a dense yet smooth texture. Keep covered in the refrigerator.
- Remove the peel of the red beet, slice it thinly and cook it slightly on a hot grill. Season with a little salt and oil. Slice the carrot into ribbons.
- Remove the peel from the avocado, divide it into two, remove the inner core, and slice half of it right before serving.
- With the rest of the avocado, prepare a vegetable mayonnaise by mashing it with a few drops of lemon and a little salt.
- When serving the sandwich, toast the slices of bread and spread abundant cashew cheese on all slices and a little mustard. Proceed by adding the vegetables. Serve with mayonnaise vegan or avocado mayonnaise.