Minestrone is always a crowd-pleaser. It’s also a great way to empty out your fridge of any excess vegetables you may have lurking about. This hearty soup makes the best of fall's bounty with pumpkin, sweet potato, and carrots.
Autumn Vegetable Minestrone [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 ribs celery, roughly diced
- 14 ounces sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 ounces deseeded and peeled pumpkin, diced
- 2 cups tomato purée
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup cannellini beans, soaked and cooked or rinsed and drained from a can
- 1 cup uncooked whole grain or gluten-free small pasta (mini farfalle, elbows, pipettes, etc.)
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh basil
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot, add the onions and cook for 5 minutes until they are translucent. Add the minced garlic, basil, oregano, carrots, celery, sweet potatoes, and pumpkin. Cook the vegetables for 5 minutes, stirring often, then add the tomato purée, vegetable broth, and bay leaf.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the beans and pasta. Cook until the pasta and all the vegetables are tender. This will vary depending on the type and size of the pasta.
- Remove the bay leaf and season the minestrone with salt and pepper to taste before serving it with some fresh basil.
Credit from Awesome Vegan Soups by Vanessa Croessmann, Page Street Publishing Co. 2017 Photo credit: Vanessa Croessmann