Chewy golden brown crust with a dense interior full of taste is the sign of a proper bagel. Believe it or not, it’s possible to bake delicious gluten-free bagels at home!
Authentic Baked Bagels [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Authentic Baked Bagels [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons of lukewarm water
- 1 and 1/2 oz fresh yeast
- 1 and a 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons psyllium husk
- 1 and a 1/2 cups white gluten free white flour ( save 1/4 cup for baking )
- 1/2 cup of tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup durra flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1-2 tablespoons molasses or barley malt syrup for boiling
- Aquafaba for glazing/ brushing
How to Prepare Authentic Baked Bagels [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Combine water, yeast, salt, sugar, oil, and psyllium, stir well until all is dissolved, then let set for 5 min.
- Start adding the flours until the dough feels firm, soft and sticky
- Grease a large bowl and place the dough in it. Cover it with a plastic wrap. Let the dough set at least 1 hour. Over night is the best.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces.
- Shape each piece into a round ball.
- Press your finger in the center of the dough ball and move it in a circular motion until you have form of a ring. Stretch the hole a bit.
- Let rise at least 30 min.
- Boil the bagels in water ( add the molasses for more color & chewiness ) for 1-2 min per side
- After boiling, place them in a baking sheet and brush with aquafaba for a beautiful glaze. Sprinkle with seeds (hemp seeds are great)
- Bake at 355℉ for 20-25 min or until golden ( bagels don’t rise as usual rolls because the boiling sets the crust, they are supposed to be dense and chewy so don’t worry if your bagels look a little flat!)
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 225 | Carbs: 36g | Fat: 8g | Protein: 5g | Sodium: 11mg | Sugar: 2gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.