Craving a fancy-schmancy French bistro meal from the comfort of home? Nab some asparagus while you can, and give our Vegan Asparagus Quiche a whirl!
Asparagus Quiche [Vegan]
- 1 (9-inch pre-formed) deep-dish vegan pie crust
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus an additional 1/2 tablespoon, divided
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1/2 pound asparagus, chopped (reserve 6 whole spears for topping)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup peas (reserve 2 tablespoons for topping)
- 1/2 cup greens of choice (spinach, kale, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 3/4 cup vegan egg substitute
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 cup grated vegan parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- Microgreens, to garnish (optional)
- Par-bake pie crust according to package instructions. Pre-heat oven to 325° F (163° C).
- Cook the vegetables: Meanwhile, heat olive oil over medium heat in a pan. Add shallots and cook 1 minute. Add asparagus, garlic and thyme, and cook 2 minutes. Add peas and greens and cook until greens are just wilted. Add salt and pepper and set aside.
- Prepare “egg” mixture: Whisk together milk, JUST Egg, dijon mustard and nutmeg.
- Assemble the quiche: Sprinkle the cheese over the crust. Layer the vegetables over the cheese, and pour the egg mixture over the vegetables. Bake for 1 hour. In the last 15 minutes of baking, sauté the remaining whole asparagus spears in the remaining 1/2 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes. Press asparagus spears into finished quiche, sprinkle over the remaining green peas, and garnish with microgreens (optional).