This crowd-pleasing broccoli salad is a no-cook side dish that could also function as lunch or dinner. Drizzled on top of the fresh, crunchy broccoli is a creamy peanut sauce that adds the perfect amount of sweetness and salty flavor. That's not all. The salad also has a underlying flavor of coconut, a tangy bite of fresh lime, salty notes of soy sauce, and the most perfect pow of spicy ginger and sriracha that warm your throat as you munch through crisp broccoli, water chestnuts, and crispy roasted peanuts. It’s quick, easy, gluten-free, and vegan with a paleo option!
Asian Healthy Broccoli Salad [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
8 side salads
For the Salad:
- 5 cups broccoli, cut into small florets
- 2 cups coleslaw mix (just the cabbage part, no dressing)
- 1/2 cup water chestnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup green onion, sliced
- 6 tablespoons roasted salted peanuts, roughly chopped (almonds for paleo)
For the Dressing:
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter (almond butter for paleo)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce (coconut aminos for paleo or tamari for gluten-free)
- 2 teaspoons of agave (coconut nectar for paleo)
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- Sriracha, to taste (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, mix together all the salad ingredients.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients until smooth and creamy. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix very well, until the dressing evenly coats the salad. Season to taste with a pinch of salt and pepper if needed.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour to let the flavors develop.