Gluten-free pitas, filled with spicy arugula, savory Portobello mushrooms, and a lemony finish for a quick and easy, fresh tasting lunch. Only requiring six ingredients, and 20 minutes, these pitas are a simple, delicious meal your wallet and tastebuds will thank you for.
Arugula Lemon Portobello Pitas [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Pitas:
- Gluten-free pitas or pita bread of choice
- 2 Portobello mushrooms, gills removed and sliced into strips
- Vegan cheese of choice, for topping (optional)
For the Marinade:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Whisk together olive oil, balsamic, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper in a small dish.
- Prepare mushrooms by washing, slicing, and placing in marinade at least 10 minutes.
- Heat oil of choice over medium-low heat, and sauté mushrooms about 5 minutes per side.
- Fill each pita pocket with arugula, mushrooms, a squeeze of lemon, and vegan cheese, if desired.